Start with MUS-P120
Based on your answers, the best class for you is probably MUS-P 120. As you have selected this class using a web-based tool, please be aware that, once we see you in the class situation, it may be necessary to change your level, incurring drop/add fees in the process. To be absolutely sure that this is the right class for you, please call 855-9009, or email email@example.com.
MUS-P 120 (3 cr. hybrid course: 1 hr/wk online, and 2 hrs lab):
This course is taught with a lecture component online, and with twice-weekly laboratory sessions in a classroom/piano laboratory environment, and assumes that students are familiar with most of the material covered in P110 and can play simple pieces competently using both hands. The student achieving a passing grade in this course will be able to:
- perform works involving leaps, and changes in hand position.
- sightread simple pieces with both hands simultaneously.
- play major and minor scales starting on white and black keys, over more
- than one octave, using both hands simultaneously.
- transpose simple pieces to a variety of keys.
- improvise simple melodies and accompaniments.
Theory covered in this course includes more complex rhythm, detailed study of keys and key signatures, types of chords and chord progressions, and harmonization.