Faculty are required to report their teaching, service, and research/creative activities for the preceding calendar year by January 15 of each spring semester. IU uses Digital Measures Activity Insight (DMAI) for this faculty reporting process. Additional information from the Office of the Executive Vice President for University Academic Affairs is available here.
DMAI Guidelines for JSoM Faculty
The information entered in the DMAI is reviewed by your department chair and by Dean Richards. The Research and Creative Activity section is of upmost importance as this information is considered in making salary recommendations. Attaching a CV is not a substitution for entering the information in the DMAI.
We realize that some of the teaching and creative activity of the JSoM faculty does not fit well into the categories provided by the DMAI, though we are pleased to confirm the following changes/additions for 2019:
- For Publication/Scholarship of Discovery: new contribution options for Music Composition and Music Recording.
- For Non-Credit Instruction Taught: new instruction type options for Masterclass, Residency, and Supervision of Teaching.
Please note that there is a box to check if an entry has a diversity component or if it involved civic engagement.
All information for the 2019 calendar year should be entered into the DMAI by January 15. There is no submit button. Once you enter the information, it will appear in the report. There is a “save” button on some screens.
Here are a few guidelines that may be helpful:
In the General Information section:
- Personal and Contact – check and add or update.
- Biography and Expertise – enter biography if you choose – this is optional.
- Unit Affiliation - auto filled at the campus level
- Prior Work Experience – you can add information here if you choose.
- IU Appointment Data – auto filled at the campus level
- Awards and Honors – enter any awards and honors you have received as well as those of your students.
- Education – enter this information.
- Professional Development – enter an activities related to education and training that received – not that you presented.
- Media Appearances and Interviews – enter any of these where you were invited to share your expertise.
- Professional Memberships – enter any organizations, associations, societies etc., to which you belong.
In the Teaching section:
- Directed Learning – enter any graduate committees on which you serve(d). You received a list of these from the graduate office.
- Non-Credit Instruction Taught – enter any teaching that you did this past year at other institutions, summer teaching elsewhere, etc. You can also enter information for any supervision of teaching at the JSoM.
- Courses – auto fill. Check to see that they are correct. If there are courses in this section that you did not teach (e.g., a course for which you supervised an AI), please check the box “Exclude from Reports.”
- Teaching Innovation and Curriculum Development – enter any course that you developed or revised, or curriculum that you developed or revised.
In the Research/Creative Activity section:
- Artistic and Professional Performances and Exhibits – this is the section where all of your performances should be entered (on and off campus).
- Contracts, Fellowships, Grants – enter any grants or fellowships you have received.
- Publications/Scholarship of Discovery – this section is for written scholarly publications, as well as for compositions and recordings
- Presentations – enter off-campus lectures, adjudication, etc. here – be sure to indicate under area whether it should be considered as creative activity, teaching, service or other.
- Works in Progress – Any project that you are working on – this is the place to enter recording projects, books, articles, editions, etc. that are in progress.
The Service/Engagement section should be clear-cut.
Please contact Sherri Bishop if you have any questions.
Frequently Asked Questions
Who is required to submit the DMAI?
All full-time long-term faculty. Visiting faculty are not required to complete the DMAI but may do so if they wish. Typically, adjunct faculty will not complete the DMAI.
How do I access the DMAI?
Go to One IU and using the search window (What would you like to do?) enter "DMAI."
Will the data previously entered into FAR migrate to DMAI?
No. Many elements have been completely revised, thus importing existing data from FAR was not possible.
How many years of data must be entered into DMAI?
At minimum, faculty should enter data for the most recent calendar year. Over time faculty can elect to enter more data and prior years. It is worth noting that there is a good chance that citations of faculty publications are already stored in another system (e.g., Web of Science, Google Scholar, PubMed). Via Activity Insight, faculty can automatically import relevant publications into their profile, negating the need to do so manually.
What if I can’t access DMAI or if the information that has been imported from IU Systems (appointment data, courses, contracts, fellowships, or grants is incorrect?
Contact Sherri Bishop for assistance.
Where should I enter student accomplishments?
Enter student accomplishments in “General Information” → “Awards and Honors.” There is an option to enter your personal awards and honors as well as those of your students.
Where should I enter doctoral committees?
Enter doctoral committees in "Teaching" → "Directed Learning (theses, dissertations)."
How do I submit my report? I don't see a "submit" button.
There is no submit button in DMAI. After you have entered your information, we will be able to run reports based on the most current data. You do not need to do anything other enter information in all applicable fields.