Travel Funding Committee
Travel Policies and Procedures, 2023-2024
Revised October 2023
The Jacobs School of Music Travel Funding Committee will review all travel funding requests submitted in accordance with the guidelines below.
2023–2024 Meeting Dates
October 27 submission deadline October 26 @5pm
November 17 submission deadline November 16 @5pm
December 1 submission deadline November 30 @5pm
January 19 submission deadline January 18 @5pm
February 16 submission deadline February 15 @5pm
March 22 submission deadline March 21 @5pm
April 26 submission deadline April 25 @5pm
May 17 submission deadline May 16 @5pm
In order to have your request considered on a particular approval date, please submit by the deadlines listed above. If your request is not received in time it will be considered at the following meeting. When determining your request amounts, please feel free to use the travel services website to determine price reductions as an Indiana University employee/faculty member.
Decisions will be submitted following each meeting date.
In response to the COVID-19 pandemic, Indiana University has issued new policies regarding university-sponsored travel that are available for review here: https://travel.sitehost.iu.edu/covid/covid19-message.shtml.
Travel now requires pre-approval before any arrangements can be made, and must be deemed essential travel. In addition, all travel arrangements have to be made through designated agencies. Funding requested to support travel must meet these requirements. Faculty can also apply for a travel grant award to support participation in virtual events.
The Jacobs School of Music Travel Policy was also updated in 2019 to reflect the University Travel Policies on Reimbursement. A critical part of this policy will affect everyone:
"Travelers (employee and non-employee) will have 60 days from the return date of their trip in which to submit travel reimbursement claims. Reimbursements submitted after this 60 day period will be considered taxable income. After 120 days from the return date of the trip, there will be no reimbursement."
In order to receive travel reimbursement you must sign up for direct deposit, and you must authorize Stephanie Gott in the Music Business Affairs office to be your “travel arranger.”
1. Eligibility. All full-time faculty members may apply for funding. Faculty on sabbatical may be considered for funding after all other awards have been made. Faculty on leave without pay normally are not funded. Librarians in the Music Library may apply, but must first apply for funding from University Libraries.
2. Purpose of funding; eligible expenses. Travel funding provided to faculty in the Jacobs School of Music is intended to support teaching, research, creative activity, and professional development. Any travel for which funding is requested must meet the university’s COVID-19-related travel policies referenced above. Faculty may also apply for funding to support participation in virtual events (e.g. conferences, workshops, etc.).
Funding may be requested for expenses related to:
- Transportation to and from appropriate events
- Rental car fees where necessary
- Registration fees for seminars, conferences, and conventions, including virtual events
Transportation may be by commercial carrier or by private vehicle (with reimbursement for mileage). By university policy, the reimbursement for mileage or train travel may not exceed the cost of comparable 30-day advance purchase airfare. Jacobs School of Music travel funding is not available for per diem expenses.
3. Other sources of funding. Jacobs School of Music travel funding cannot duplicate funding from any other source, but may provide supplemental funding if funding from other sources is incomplete. Faculty members are strongly encouraged to explore funding possibilities through research grants or sponsoring organizations before applying for travel funds from the Jacobs School of Music.
Faculty traveling overseas should apply for a grant through the IU Office of the Vice President for International Affairs (especially the Overseas Conference Grant).
4. Application deadlines. The committee will consider Travel Request Forms received by each of the meeting dates listed above. The committee will meet to determine the distribution of funds, subject to the availability of funds at that time.
5. In the case of travel prior to application deadline, faculty should be sure to save all relevant receipts, and enter the exact amounts on the Travel Request Form.
6. For travel after the application deadline, cost estimates should be as accurate as possible. Every effort should be made to make travel and lodging reservations prior to submitting the application.
7. To request travel funding, faculty should submit the Travel Request Form by the dates given above. Submit forms and documentation by uploading them to this form. Please begin all file names with your last name (e.g., “Shaw Travel Form”). Documentation such as letters of invitation, conference descriptions, programs, etc., should be submitted with the application. Do not submit receipts at this time.
Soon after the deadline, applicants will be notified by the Office of the Dean regarding action taken by the Travel Funding Committee.
8. For physical travel only: If your request for funding is approved, Stephanie Gott in the Music Business Affairs office will work with you to set up your trip in OneStart. Once you are notified of your travel award, you will need to contact Stephanie Gott at email@example.com as soon as possible with the following information: a copy of the award letter from the travel committee, dates of travel, destination, means of travel, purpose of trip.
9. Please note that travel awards granted during the 2021-2022 academic year that have not been dispersed cannot be rolled over. If an event for which funding was awarded has been postponed until 2022-2023, it will be necessary to reapply.
Jacobs School of Music Travel Funding Committee for 2023-24:
- Sean Dobbins, chair (2023-24)
- Amanda Draper (2022-24)
- Han Lash (2023-25)
- Spencer Myer (2023-25)
- Sean Dobbins, chair (2023-24)